To many it seemed that 2021 was just a continuation of 2020. On the Jake of All Trades Show Jake Rivas and his sidekick Kirk Barbera tried to keep upbeat and positive by not only discussing topics of interest to you, but by giving practical advice aimed at benefiting your wallets both now and in the future.
Below are the top five episodes that you all seemed to love this year. We hope that we could provide you with good actionable advice while tickling your intellect.
1. Coming in at number one is an unsurprising episode. Everyone wanted to know how recently passed legislation would effect their wallets.
Here is an episode description:
Laws passed in 2020 are beginning to take effect. Some of these laws will affect your wallet. Namely, alterations to 401k, social security and laws governing subscription services. On this episode Jake and Kirk go through the ones that are most likely going to affect you and discuss how to navigate them.
2. Do you remember all the craze of the Robinhood app? Well you were all certainly interested in this episode. On an episode back in February Jake and Kirk discussed how the company behind Robinhood app makes money:
Though the investment app boasts no commissions, there are several strategies the company uses to make money. Some of these strategies seem familiar to us and some may be unique. One of them, Jake and Kirk believe, is actually quite dangerous!
3. And of course who could forget the epic showdown between Jake Rivas and Kirk Barbera over whether or not Billionaires should exist. Of course Kirk won that debate, right? (yes yes he happens to be writing this verbiage...)
DEBATE NIGHT! With Jake and Kirk. On this special edition of Jake of All Trades, Jake and Kirk debate the question of whether or not billionaire’s should exist. Jake takes the negative and Kirk takes the positive. Of course, they don’t mean whether we should jail or deport billionaires, but rather should billionaires be subject to extra taxes or limits? What do you think? Do you think Billionaires should exist? What are the arguments for and against? Tune in for Jake and Kirk’s discussion.
4. Next up we have a special guest episode with Kevin Moore. Jake, Kevin and Kirk discussed Megatrends in investing:
To talk more in-depth at some of the trends that mutual fund managers are considering for the future, we brought on Kevin Moore, principal advisor at I*financial (Jake’s CFP firm). Kevin has also worked as a mutual fund manager, so he provides unique insights into how the investing world considers these trends and why you should too.
5. Last but certainly not least was a discussion about whether our listeners should even listen to Jake Rivas (CFP) Or just hire some robot!
In the world of algorithms and AI is it still necessary to hire a CFP? Can’t robots do it all for us? Jake and Kirk discuss various online programs that can do a good job at helping you to manage and invest your finances. But is it sufficient? Also, at what point can robots not do what a human is able to do? These are some questions that Jake and Kirk discuss, as well as give some tips on when to use robo advisors and when to hire a human.